Monday, November 12, 2012

the earth moves in momos...

  


November 12, 2012


























Another week in Momostenango,


the amish colony of guatemala.


It was a great week and to answer your question, Yes,  I felt two big
earthquakes this past week, it was super cool. For me at least.
Probably not for the people who died or whose houses caved in. I felt
like i was waiting in line for the indiana jones ride with the 3rd
world rustic atmosphere and cool earth quake effects, But it was real
this time and my life was actually in danger. It actually wasn`t to
bad where i lived the worst was stuff falling off shelves and my comp
nearly peeing himself but other than that all is well. There might
have been worse but i haven`t heard about them yet. An area near by
got it pretty bad though, Like I said deaths, houses and other things.
Well on the other hand life is great. We have an awesome ward and they
are so loving towards the missionaries. My legs no longer fit in the
skinny levis i brought from climbing the mountains. Flat does not
exist in my area but i love it. This last week we helped a less active
chop down a tree and CARRY it up a mountain. I ended up with the
trunk.. We had to go down a little of one mountain, cross a river, (No
there was no bridge or rock path) And hike up a different mountain. It
took nearly 2 HOURS. With out the trunk maybe twenty minutes hiking. I
had to take MANY rests and my comp had to help me lift it up to my
shoulder every time we started again. I felt pretty tough and manly
until a 60 year old woman past me up with a huge bag of wood on her
back. That will humble any man.
Well as usual its not much but its all i`ve got time for. I love you
all sooo much and appreciate every one of your emails you send me.
Even though i may not make many comments about them i enjoy all of
them.
Love you so much,
Elder Nicholas Wimmer








Some of the average landscape, full of corn.



















Waterfalls we found where we want to Babtize!








                                                                                                                                                        November 5, 2012



Well it`ll be another short one.. The power went out while I was
typing my letter.. Were in momo`s right now, Our area doesnt have
internet so we come down to the city on P-days. But dont let city fool
you. Its still tiny. Sorry!   Also, Today was the the first P day of
the month so we got to go to the city (Quetzaltenango) and buy FOOD!

So let me tell you about When we arrived at the chapel where we would
be living we were greeted by a nice old man, Thomas. he is a member as
of some time and is the father/grandfather of 50 OTHER MEMBERS. He is
a small man with a gimp leg but STILL works in construction. He took
one of my bags and walked us up to the chapel. It was filthy and
freezing. Thomas, gave us a very heart felt and sincere welcome and
took off. We started to clean the house and we heard a man shout
"elderes!". The man came literally running up to greet us. He was
Apolonio our ward mission leader and he said that he would pass by in
a little he was working but heard we had arrived and had to come to
meet us. And that was it! He ran from work to greet us and took off
running again. It was great to be able to meet our Ward Mission Leader
so soon. So we kept working and just a few moments later again we
heard "elderes!". We walked out to great big hug by two young boys,
one little girl, and their father. They were so happy to see us and
immediatly invited us to eat dinner at their house. "even though it`ll
just be beans and tortillas we would love to have you." we gladly
accepted, and continued cleaning. A few minutes later ANOTHER man came
up to the fence with his kids completely content to have us there.
NEVER in my mission have I recieved such a welcome.. It was So
humbling and so heartfelt. The Visits didn`t stop either. what a
welcome.
so, later that night some how they had found out that we were low on
food and from that ENTIRE week we had breakfast. Lunch. AND dinner
with a member. I felt like crying that people with so little were so
willing to give so much... What a blessing to be in this area.
LOVE YOU FAMILY!!! i have to go. Times Up..
Love Elder Wimmer


October 20, 2012


So you know how elders get to the field they say stuff like "What
language is that?" or "thats not the language they taught me in the
MTC..?" Well i found myself saying that same thing when i first
arrived in my area in Santa Anna.. its funny because it really WASN'T
the language they taught me in the MTC... "Thats Quiche".
     They say every area has its challenges and i found this ones out
quite easily when my ward mission leader first greeted me. "Utzawach".
"Oh dear."
Santa anna is one of the highest areas in the mission and is so very
cold at night. We have to enter the house at 6 o'clock because there
are NO lights at night, HENCE its semi dangerous. We are surrounded by
trees and it actually is almost similar to Utah but the mountains are
covered with corn and here and there are small humble homes. It is up
and down and up and down. There are no flat parts in our area and i
love it! i feel like i`m back in boy scouts literaly running up and
down mountains, hoping streams and river, taking sticks and stones for
the animals.
There are ALOT of members 110 in all and they are so very loving. i`ll
explain the next time more about the people. I`m sorry but the stories
will be short here and they will be in many different parts. My comp
is a Human and i get along with trees just great now.
I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH AND I AM SO HAPPY!!!!
Love Elder Nicholas Wimmer


October 22, 2012

Well!... I`m in a whole new mission.

Last night at 10 o`clock the AP`s called to give us the changes for
the zone and to our suprise... I had changes. And to our greater
suprise the changes were the next morning at 9 30. Ouch. So i was up
until midnight last night packing my things. So this morning we left
to changes at 6 30. When we arrived they told me i would be opening a
closed area in Momostenango called Santa Anna.

MOMOSTENANGO.
This is a unique zone and a unique area. I still have not been to my
area actually! but i`ve heard of it... In Santa Anna I will be living
a new life. I will live in a chapel. I will be showering with cold
water. I will be Traveling two hours away to buy groceries and I will
be washing my clothes pioneer style. Its a whole new mission now.
There are no stores. There are no paved roads. and there is a new
companion. My new comp is Elder Llantoy from peru. He seems great! I
am so excited to go and to able to put all my focus on the work. Yep,
i`m no longer a ZL. But I`m alright with this, I`m in my prime and now
is when i take all i`ve learned and put to work. I pray to bring many
of christs children unto him. I`ll let you know how it goes this first
week! not much time sorry.
I`m officially the oldest Gringo in the mission. Theres a large gap
between me and the group that left today.
LOVE YOU SO MUCH FAMILY
i want to make you proud.







October 15, 2012




Well no the package has not yet arrived... Oh well. My health is well,
kevin has a new a friend that has really done some work on my
intestines. they don`t really bother me much, only that when i have to
go to the bathroom, I HAVE to go to the bathroom. There`s no hold up,
its more buckle up were going full throttle. Other than that i have
been actually really good. I`m so very grateful that i am always able
to sleep through the night. Its a common blessing that makes a great
start to every day.
So, this past tuesday we went with the assistant to work. As we were
working he caught me... I have to get a new pair of shoes. I`ve had
this pair of shoes since the beginning and they`ve always been my
favorites but... I apparently no longer meet the mission standards.
Heres a quick picture i took. They dont look too bad above but the
biggest problem is the sole. I didn`t have time to take a picture. It
doesn`t matter if it is raining that day, if it has rained that day,
or even if it has rained in the past WEEK. If there are puddles of any
size or depth my feet are soaked. It could be a sunny day and i`ll be
walking around in soaked socks. So i have to ask. May i take out a
little money to buy some shoes? Sorry..







I had to take a picture before i had to leave them in my last area.


October 8, 2012


Well fam it was a good week. Conference week is always a good week.
Although they didn`t let us watch it in english this time it was still
great to get some fresh revelation. I had to focus in a lot more to
try and get stuff out of it because they also speak in bible talk or
the above average intelligence talk.
   We had investigators in all sessions but one. And different
investigators in each one. That was great to have but it was difficult
for them to focus during the meeting. I guess i can`t blame them.
Listening to old men speak for two hours strait isn`t very easy
sometimes.
   We have a couple baptismal dates and I am working and learning
alot. I hope that i can become a good and inspiring leader not just
for words but for my example. Its been good learning how to help
different kinds of people. Each person in this world is different and
theres not just one solution how to help all of them. Its sometimes
difficult to help people that dont want your help or really just dont
care. But one thing that i`ve learned is that "nobody cares how much
you know, Until they know how much you care". And more simply BE THEIR
FRIEND. Its something that is key to get any results out of someone
that you want to help. Think about it. Would YOU listen or really take
anything in from someone you dont like? or with whom you dont have a
good relationship? Wouldn`t that be difficult? But now think about it
if it was one of your close friends or loved family members. Being
friends first is so important to be able to help someone else make a
change. The Liahona of september talks about this same fact in the
importants of preaching the gospel to non members. So maybe your
situation is not a Non member but maybe a friend, family member, or
coworker. Compliment them, Share with them, Laugh with them and of
course Love them. We have to reach the point where we will be able to
converse with them with out outer feelings interupting the connection.
A clean, open, and loving conversation is possible if we can reach the
point of friends.
Well thats my random thought of the week and i hope it helps someone.
Thanks so much for all the love and support! I pray for you always
Love Elder Nicholas Wimmer

No comments:

Post a Comment